Saturday, August 28, 2010

Undercutting the competition


Initially this guy might be right, it seems stupid of me to list 5 belt buckles each time I post and undercutting with 2g50s, but in one thing he isn't, I do not cancel and the next day they still all magically appear as gold in my inbox.

Why is this possible?
People see I've undercut them and cancel themselves, leaving me alone on the AH with my 5-10-15 or more belt buckles up, each in a different pricing range.
As the day goes by, demand changes and people will buy more/less buckles, because they PvP, got gear upgrades, want to get their alt some extra slot, whatever reason, they just sell day and night.

Because of this, I don't worry about who undercut me, QA will undercut them the next time I post anyway, all I care about is the cash rolling in the next time I log in.

What is your vision on this, am I just being ignorant, should I undercut less, but more frequent to get my competition away?
I'd really like to see what you guys think about this.

10 comments:

  1. I never undercut by more than 1c on things that people buy regardless of price. That means Glyphs, Gems, Belt Buckles, Enchant Scrolls, that sort of thing. Now if we're talking BoE epics or flasks, then yea a bigger undercut can work to your advantage. But people buy item enhancements off the AH either because they're too lazy to make the item themselves, or they don't have access to it and are too lazy to get someone else to make it for free. Use that knowledge to your advantage. I know I don't even look at prices when I buy an enchant scroll, because quite frankly any price is better than having to log to my alt to craft a single scroll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I really dont understand ppl like you.. Why in gods name undercut with 2g50s when you could undercut with 1c and still get the same result?

    You kinda remind me of this noob who posts glyphs for a fallback of 15g on my realm.

    He gets nothing out of it as I block post 10 glyphs to make sure he gets no gold for being a total prick. Only thing he gets out of this is that nobody gets more than 15g per glyph, when the market could support 50g per glyph or more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deep undercutting is only cutting profits, unless there exists a price threshold that an item will not sell at, if listed too high.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And quick selling items like buckles have a high threshold if any at all. I sell mine for 75g each when none are left, and they still move. so.....?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When there is absolutely no competition I post the buckles at 100g each, it's just when some competition is around I undercut fairly heavy.

    Seems like I have to scale the undercutting for a bit.

    Thanks for the feed back so far (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! In fact, I agree so strongly that I wrote a post about it.

    http://phase3profit.net/2010/08/vennren-is-right/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I post items for what they are worth and the amount of profit I wish to make. Sometimes that is an undercut sometimes it isn't but every day the sales come in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I put a lengthy comment up over at P3Profit, since I was limited in my space here since I was posting from work. Explains what I was saying in much more detail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deep undercuts scare off competition as well. if you make deep undercuts you find ppls cut off points. while belt buckles may not be a good place to run this on as fluid as the market is there are times its good to scare off the part time players to make more profit later

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deep undercuts are the only thing that stops the bot on my server from undercutting everything with a decent profit in it every minute of every day for the last year or so.

    When the profit is less than about 20% he'll usually stop posting.

    ReplyDelete